|Mission & Purpose|
The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) is a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) service organization and rule-making body that was formed in 1905 to create equitable playing conditions between high school sports teams in Washington. The Association consists of nearly 800 member high schools and middle/junior high schools, both public and private, and is divided into nine geographic service districts. The state staff administers Association policies, rules and regulations and provides other assistance and service to member schools.
The WIAA oversees athletics and fine arts in Washington state and hosts 120 WIAA state championship events for the following sports and activities: baseball, basketball, bowling, cheerleading, cross country, dance & drill, debate, drama, football, golf, gymnastics, music, softball, swimming & diving, soccer, tennis, track & field, volleyball and wrestling. WIAA state championships run from early November through late May. These programs provide students with valuable life skills and are an integral part of the total education process.
The WIAA does not receive any funding via tax dollars nor does it receive any financial support from the State of Washington. The WIAA is funded primarily through ticket sales for state tournaments and other events. Additional funding is derived from sponsorships, membership fees, a percentage of merchandise sales and other minimal items. WIAA expenses are related to the operations of the business and the costs associated with running state championships.
Strengthening all students for life through participation in excellent, fair, safe, and accessible activities.
With integrity we will:
- Ensure respect for all individuals and communities by valuing others, treating them with dignity, and promoting ethical behavior in all activities.
- Provide a safe environment where participants pursue positive relationships and healthy activities.
- Challenge all students to attain personal academic excellence through participation, competition, and teamwork.
- Provide access to equitable, fair, and diverse activities.
- Strengthen character, build confidence, and maximize potential through sportsmanship, leadership, and service.
By 2018 all member Districts/Schools of the WIAA will demonstrate ownership of the mission and core principles.
Purpose & Goals
PURPOSE OF THE ASSOCIATION - This Association shall plan, supervise and administer the interscholastic activities approved and delegated by the school districts boards of directors. GOALS OF THE ASSOCIATION - To this end, this Association shall:
- Recognize that the primary responsibility of secondary schools is to educate youth;
- Establish standards to insure the safety, health and general welfare of all participants;
- Protect students, schools and personnel from exploitation by special interest groups;
- Emphasize interscholastic activities as an integral part of the total educational process;
- Formulate and maintain policies which will cultivate the ideals of good sportsmanship;
- Design all activities to provide for fair and equal opportunities for all participants;
- Promote uniformity of standards in interscholastic activities;
- Provide a clear channel of communication for member school districts;
- Recognize excellence in performance as a result of training and practice in the competitive process.
- Encourage and promote diversity of its membership at all levels of the Association.